_________

Friday, September 26, 2008

Gwen's Big Haircut

We have shared our past fun in giving Gwen the haircuts that she so desperately needs. This time, we just couldn't bring ourselves to do and and as we kept putting it off, she got more and more hairy. Just so you know, more hairy for Gwen equals more clumps of fur on my carpet. It drives me crazy and they scare Howie. Yes, he will attack the fur balls that she leaves behind her. We have never claimed that he's smart. Anyway, like I said, we couldn't seem to muster the energy to tackler her with the trimmers. So . . . Gwen went to the groomer. We made the appointment and off we went. By now she's learned that a ride in the car never has a good ending for her. I wrapped her up in a towel and held her tight.
When we got to the groomer's, she saw the dogs and kind of freaked out. They took her to the back because the girl who grooms cats was busy. I let her know that Gwen has been very good in the past about holding still and that she really shouldn't be much trouble. She said she would call when she was done and we headed for home.
So, time passes and the phone call comes. She girl, slightly out of breathe, says "We're done cutting her fur, but she won't let us bathe her." I said ok and we left to go and get her. When we got there, the groomer told me that Gwen totally freaked out and wouldn't hold still. She had to have someone help her hold Gwen. I think it must have been the dogs around her, cause most of them were bigger than her. Whatever the reason, she was cut but not washed. We wrapped her up and headed back home.
If I'm going to give my cat a haircut that costs more than I would ever spend on my own hair, she's getting a bath. In the bathtub Gwen went. It was obvious that she was tired and didn't want to be bothered anymore, so we gave her a quick bath and called it good enough.
There are perks to Gwen getting a good clean cut. Her fur is ridiculously soft, so she gets a lot more attention from us. She also has less maintenance of her fur. And I think that when it's long and it gets tangled, it hurts her skin. So that problem is solved as well. We did a bit of trimming around her face and along the scruff of her neck and she looks great. She's my little lioness now. Enjoy the pictures!

1 comment:

Vanessa Swenson said...

i like gwen shaved. i wanna shave simon.