_________

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Culinary Deliciousness

Ok, just a quick post here, because I have to share my recent adventures.

When in California for Thanksgiving in 2009, Dad took us to a small valley outside of Sacramento that is full of apple orchards. It's called Apple Hill, or something. Anyway, there was a little shop there that had all sorts of different flavors of fruit curd. They had mango, and lime, and passion fruit and of course, lemon. We bought a small jar of lemon curd, and it traveled across the U.S. with us. I had it in mind that I would use it as a filling in a cake or something. Well, Brian and I were craving cupcakes the other day, and I had opened the jar of lemon curd and knew it needed to be used. So . . . .




Yes folks! Those are lemon curd cupcakes. The frosting is vanilla that I tinted yellow. Brian thought that lemon icing would be too much. But he informed me today that I should have used lemon icing. Why doesn't he trust me in these things???

So, they are white cupcakes, with lemon curd that I inserted using a pastry bag and a little bit of force, topped with vanilla frosting. The next batch will have lemon frosting. Now, I have contemplated making lemon curd from scratch, and have been given a tested recipe to use, but I'm scared. Curds are difficult to make because if you do it wrong, you end up with nasty scrambled eggs. So, one day when I'm feeling particularly adventurous, I'll give that a whirl. Until then, I'm grateful that Trader Joe's sells jars of lemon curd. And now to go eat a cupcake . . .

1 comment:

Lyndsie said...

Yum! I'm going to attempt a chocolate peanut butter pound cake today, but I must say that your cupcakes sound amazing.